Established in 1951, International Organization for Migration (IOM) is the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and nongovernmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Internship Programme targets, talented students and graduates willing to gain practical experience in a field relevant to the Organization through their involvement in daily working activities in migration-related areas, support/administrative functions and/or different thematic areas.
Context: Under the direct supervision of the Head of Office, the incumbent will contribute to the effective administrative and programmatic functions in the office and provide direct assistance to the IOM team for support to vulnerable migrants, including functions of the overall office structure.
Core functions / Responsibilities:
1. Assist in drafting concept notes, briefings and project proposals;
2. Assist in keeping case files up to date;
3. Assist with the UKTB Project, USRAP and Canadian Project;
4. Assist in coordinating logistics for capacity building interventions for government officials and other partners on mixed migration and related issues, and provide support for broader capacity building initiatives;
5. Assist in coordinating and monitoring awareness raising and information campaigns and activities, with focus on mixed migration and migrants’ rights;
6. Represent IOM as an alternate member on the UN theme groups
7. Assist IOM support assistant staff member in managing and monitoring the IOM Namibia social media page and media and communication folder on the server
8. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required qualifications and Experience Education
• Enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree in Social Sciences, Law, Political, Education, Marketing or a related field from an accredited academic institution; or
• Enrolled in a graduate school in Social Sciences, Law, Political, Education, Marketing, or a related field from an accredited academic institution (second university degree or equivalent, or higher)
• Candidate must be between 20 and 36 years of age. Experience • Personal commitment, initiative, drive for results, sensitivity and personal skills
• Excellent writing and organizational skills, and attention to detail
• Ability to work effectively/ harmoniously with colleagues and project beneficiaries from varied cultural backgrounds
• Candidate should be highly motivated, with dynamic personality and the ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines. Languages Fluency in English is required for this position. Knowledge of local languages is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Additional Notes: IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment. Namibian nationals as well as foreign nationals with valid residence and work/study permit to work as intern in Namibia are eligible to apply.
Method of application: If you are interested in this internship opportunity and meet the minimum requirements, please send your letter of motivation, up-to-date Resume/CV, copy of ID, education certificates and other credential documents to firstname.lastname@example.org When you send your application through email, please ensure to specify the reference number: CFA2020_NA10_01 Administrative Intern on the subject line of your email. Incomplete applications will be rejected. Please send your applications latest 07 April 2020. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.